JGB Custom Homes recently had the honor of being hand selected by Mobile Loaves & Fishes, along with other top custom home builders in Austin, TX, to help build and bring to life the Community First! Village. This 27-acre master-planned community will provide affordable, sustainable housing and a supportive community for our chronically homeless and disabled brothers and sisters in Central Texas. This is a national prototype and has already been examined by other community leaders in Texas, California, Georgia, and many other states with cities where homelessness is a widespread issue. The theme for the project is Building Goodness and in building goodness, we believe no one should have to sleep outside.
The challenge proposed from Mobile Loaves & Fishes was to raise $18,000.00 to pay for supplies to build one micro house. We gladly accepted that challenge and with your help, we can do it! When we reach our goal, Mobile Loaves & Fishes will then give us the privilege of building a second home, funded by MLF. The home model we chose to build, "A Porch With A Home", was designed by one of Austin's premier architectural firms, Page. By clicking on their name, you can read what went into this amazing design and concept.
In addition to homes, finding work, and getting those in need back on their feet, the village will provide the following:
▪ An innovative mix of affordable housing options
▪ Places for worship, study, and fellowship
▪ Memorial garden and columbarium
▪ A community garden featuring fruit- and nut-bearing trees and vegetables
▪ A chicken operation, beehives producing fresh honey, and aquaponics
▪ A workshop with tool bank and art gallery for micro-enterprise opportunities
▪ A medical facility for physical and mental health screenings and support services including hospice and respite care
▪ Walking trails
▪ An outdoor theater and bed & breakfast for mission visits
▪ CAP Metro bus stop